Italian Lemon Meringue Tart with 50mm Butter Shortbread Shells
- 20 x Ready Bake 50mm Square Butter Shortbread Shells
- 225g eggs (approx 4 eggs)
- 230g sugar
- 250ml cream
- 250ml lemon juice
- 125g egg whites
- 250g sugar
- 40g water
- Place the butter shortbread shells on a baking tray and thaw. Pre heat your oven to 160°c.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, cream, lemon juice.
- Once thawed, pour lemon custard mix into each shortbread shell being careful not to splash the mix onto the foil. Doing this may cause your shortbread to stick to the foil once baked and become difficult to take out of the foil.
- Bake filled shortbread shells for 12 - 14 mins.
- Cool shells and remove from foils.
- Boil sugar and water to 118°c, pour syrup down the side of mixing bowl into egg whites, whipping at high speed until they reach room temperature.
- Pipe Italian meringue onto lemon custard shortbread shells.
- Top with slivered almonds and flash in hot oven 200°c.
- Garnish with chocolate shard, and icing sugar when the tart has cooled down.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the fridge for later use.