Wild Mushroom Vol au Vent With Port Cream Sauce
- 1 carton Ready Bake Puff Pastry Sheets (PSH)
or 1 Ready Bake Puff Pastry Roll (P10)
- 2 Eggs Yolks
- 2tbsp Milk
- 100g Shitake Mushrooms
- 200g Field Mushrooms
- 100g Swiss Brown Mushrooms
- 2 Brown Onions
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 20mls Olive Oil
- 250ml Tawny Port Wine
- 200ml Thick Cream
- 25g Chopped Chives
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
Vol au Vent Method
- Defrost a Ready Bake Puff pastry sheet or cut a portion of pastry off a Ready Bake puff pastry roll.
- Take a fluted pastry cutter and cut the puff pastry and place it on a greased or silicon lined baking tray.
- Take the same size fluted pastry cutter and cut an identical size then take a slightly smaller round cutter and cut a hole in the middle of the pastry.
- Make a small egg yolk/milk wash and brush the mixture over the base cut pastry. Place the other cut pastry with the hole in the middle, on top of the base to make a base and top then brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in a 200°C oven for around 10-12 minutes.
- Clean and wash the mushrooms, shake the water off then slice into strips.
- Fine dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat a heavy bottom cooking pot and add the olive oil. Heat till hot, not too hot so the oil is smoking then add the diced onion and garlic. Fry off, just before browning then add the mushrooms and cook out the mushrooms for around 5 minutes.
- Add the tawny port and reduce the port by two thirds then add the thick cream and further reduce by half or until the sauce becomes thick. This stage may take around 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the sea salt, cracked pepper and chopped chives.
- Spoon the wild mushroom mix into the Vol au vent shells and serve.
- Makes approx 30 vol au vents